In 1881, while Charles Petersone was firmly at the command of the Kapp Brothers Shop of Dublin, which produces and sells pipe, Fridrich and his wife died. Charles had, therefore, to lead the company and to take care of the two children of Friedrich: Alfred and Christian. The latter, however, give up their share of the family business, which were taken in part by his brother Alfred and in part by Charles himself.
This is how the “Kapp & Peterson” born, whose pipes are now well established on the market thanks to the skill of the artisan Latvian. In 1891 it was patented the “Peterson Pipe System” and in 1898 the “P-Lip”: the first is a small tank in which is collected the moisture produced by the combustion, ensuring a smoked always dry and pleasant, while the second is a particular form of the mouthpiece with the hole oriented towards the palate, so as to preserve the tongue of the smoker. The two technical features are considered essential still today for the Peterson brand enthusiasts all over the world.
Since then, the company changed owners several times, first among the heirs of the founders and later also among foreign entrepreneurs. The company was fully acquired in 1991 by the current owner, Tom Palmer, an expert of the pipe and slow smoking world.
In the more than one hundred fifty years of life, Peterson has product pipes of all kinds, of all shapes and sizes, adding limited editions such as to always arouse the interest of fans and collectors to products intended to make large numbers, allowing them to resist cigarette commercial explosion that turned the pipe from a necessary tool to a discretionary object and refined, to become one of the most established brands and popular in the world, which, however, still stands unchanged the charm of Grafton Street store and the historic factory on the outskirts of Dublin, where it’s possible to see the Wicklow mountains, which give their name to a successful series of pipes of the Irish brand.